page last updated on 2 January 2024

- Best time to come to Thailand and look for work?

March/April for a mid May start (the first school semester) and again August/September for a mid October start (second school semester).

- Worst time to come to Thailand and look for work?

December, January and February.

- Can I work on a tourist visa?

No country in the world would allow this and Thailand is no exception. In Thailand, in order to obtain a work permit to legally teach in the country, you will need a Non Immigrant B visa or a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage. Since most foreigners arriving in Thailand aren't married to a local, they will need to apply for a Non Immigrant B visa. However, one can't apply for a Non Immigrant B visa in-country, hence the necessity to leave Thailand again for a foreign country, often a neighboring country to obtain this type of visa at the Thai consulate, re-enter the country again and apply for a work permit. Popular choices are Vientiane in Laos and Penang in Malaysia.

- But, I heard that my friend began working on a tourist visa at his school?

Most Thai schools will opt to get their new recruit started on a tourist visa even though it's not exactly legal. This is because they firstly want to know if the teacher is actually a capable teacher, and secondly, they will want to find out whether the teacher is actually going to stay at the school and complete his one-year contract.
The work involved to prepare the paperwork needed for the teacher to apply for his Non Immigrant B visa, his teacher's license, his work permit and his visa extension at the nearest Thai Immigration Bureau is unbelievably tedious, hence schools prefer it this way.

- Can I request sponsorship from a Thai school for a Non-Immigrant B visa before traveling to Thailand?

You can certainly inquire about it. However, it's important to keep in mind that approximately 95% of schools won't provide visa sponsorship in advance. This caution arises from the fact that some foreign teachers change their plans once they arrive in Thailand, opting to work in other countries, like China, as an example. Providing the necessary paperwork for a Non-Immigrant B visa is a cumbersome and potentially risky process for any school. Besides, obtaining a Non-Immigrant B visa from a neighboring country is not an overly stressful task. It can even be seen as an opportunity to explore the beautiful and intriguing sights in Vientiane or Penang, or any neighboring country for that matter. 

- What documents will I need to apply for a Non Immigrant B visa at a Thai consulate abroad?

You will need the following:

A passport with a minimum validity of six months and at least two blank pages.
The original copy of your bachelor's degree plus orifinal transcripts certified/legalized in your homecountry or at the your Embassy in Bangkok (not always possible).
Two passport-sized photos.
A criminal background check.
School registration and license documents.
A letter from the school addressed to the Thai consulate of the country you're planning on visiting.
A copy of your contract.

Keep in mind that specific requirements can vary from one consulate to another in different countries or regions. Ask your school, check online forums  e.g. the Thai Visa Advice Facebook group for the latest - do your homework!

- How much does a visa run to the Thai consulate in Vientiane typically cost?

Approximately 8,000 Baht.

- Best way to do a visa run?

There is no such thing as 'best way', some teachers opt to go with an agency, others choose to fly, take the bus or the train. Using an agency is probably the easiest, but not necessarily the costliest since you'll be sharing a van with others. Often agencies can get an arrangement with the hotel and thus get a discount for the rooms. Using an agency also means paying in advance for the whole trip in cash, often to the agency owner at the point of departure. 

- How long will the Non Immigrant B visa be valid for?

3 months. 

- How do I extend my Non Immigrant B visa?

After obtaining a teacher's license and a work permit, the Non Immigrant B visa that you have obtained in a neighboring country will be extended by an Immigration Bureau nearest to you via your employer. In fact, you and the school HR officer will have to visit the local Immigration Bureau together. Some teachers get the paperwork from the school and extend their visas themselves, but it's so much hassle.

- Can you change schools in Thailand without leaving the country?

Securing the cooperation of the school you are departing from is essential in the process of transitioning to a new position. Maintaining a positive relationship with your current school is crucial to facilitate a smooth handover, necessitating sufficient time for them to find a replacement. Although Thai Labour law mandates a 30-day notice period, it is unlikely that a suitable replacement could be found within this timeframe, especially considering the 4 to 6 weeks typically required for visa processing. The actual handover must occur concurrently with HR representatives from both schools at their respective immigration offices, demanding significant organizational efforts and cooperation from both parties. While this may pose challenges, it is a feasible task with careful planning and commitment from all involved parties. 

- How do most foreign teachers find work in Thailand?

They enter Thailand on a tourist visa or on a visa exempt stamp then look for work either by applying for jobs on this very site or do walk-ins at schools, dropping off their CVs. 

- Is it easy to secure a job from outside Thailand?

It isn't. Only the super qualified and experienced succeed, often through recruitment fairs held in the country of origin by first tier Thailand based international schools. 95% of teachers are hired locally. 

- Is there a reason why Thai schools prefer to recruit in-country?

There is, actually. Just as it is the case with visa sponsorship, Thai schools know that the teacher can have a last minute change of heart and bail out. The reason KruTeacher advises teachers to travel to Thailand first then look for work. Getting hired from abroad is still possible, though, but rare.

- Best way to enter the country?

On either a visa exempt stamp or a tourist visa.

- How long does it approximately take to receive final approval from the local Immigarion Bureau and an extension of stay until my contract with the school ends?

The whole process from A to Z can take up to three months. 

What are the different teaching licenses for foreign teachers in Thailand?

- What is the needed documentation and how can I meet the requirements for visa, teacher licensing (temporary permit to teach in Thailand), and work permit?

Authorities will need to see a Bachelor or Arts degree. And, they want to see the paperwork done their way. They can make exceptions but it all depends on which immigration office you're visiting that day and who's the immigration officer. Visa issuance is all or nothing.

Some folks are employed as teacher assistants or consultants and manage to get a work permit that way. How this works exactly we're unsure, but what we do know is that the school must really push hard for that teacher to get those documents accepted. Often it's an associates degree, or a diploma in teaching with experience. 

In most cases you will need: an authenticated Bachelor’s degree with university issued academic transcripts. Most immigration offices will not settle for anything less, with many immigration offices now also requiring a police clearance (current and valid), and that is how it should be unless you're teaching at a university. Several foreign pedophiles have been caught teaching in Thai schools in the past and immigration wants to stop those type of teachers teaching Thai children- and rightly so.

English proficiency test certificate (TOEIC 600 up or IELTS band 7 up) for non natives.
Passport with more than 1 year validity remaining.
If you have your paperwork done you can get legal work in Thailand.

- What is the purpose of that teaching license waiver?

If you’re a qualified teacher i.e. you possess a B.Ed, a PGCE or you are a licensed teacher you are exempt from this requirement. University Lecturers don’t need one either. 

It's worth mentioning that language schools, university demonstration schools, and universities do not necessitate the procurement of a teacher's license waiver. Furthermore, holders of an Education degree 'may' find themselves eligible for a full five-year teacher's license.

A teaching license waiver is required by the Teaching Council of Thailand for teachers who work in most government and private primary/secondary schools. The majority of foreign teachers in Thailand hold a Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field, they can only legally work in Thailand for up to six years. In other words, the Teacher Council of Thailand gives them enough time to gain “qualified teacher status” by getting a related qualification e.g. a PGCE, a B.Ed or something similar. Teachers are given three waivers, two years x three.

However, in March of 2023, the "2-year temporary teaching license" waiver has been replaced with a “5-year B-license”, and a “7-year A-license” with the requirement of getting qualified dropped. Instead, foreign teachers have to attend online practical and theoretical training sessions - 7 modules in total.
Note, a degree is still required to legally teach in Thailand!

For more up-to-date information on teaching licenses and teaching waivers we suggest teachers visit the Teachers' Council of Thailand website

The process is pretty complicated and changes often, teachers are advised to let the school they'll be working for handle all the paperwork for them. In fact, most Thai schools employ an HR officer whose sole task is to take care of teacher licenses, waivers; the work permit, and advising on the teacher's best options to replace their tourist visa to a working (non-imm B) visa. Schools that won't help foreign teachers with the paperwork are to be avoided. They are not good schools to work for.

- How can a Filipino teacher best prepare him/herself for his/her trip to Thailand?

Currently, there are literally thousands of Filipino teachers in Thailand. In fact, most foreign teachers in Thailand are Filipinos.

If you aspire to join this community and fulfill your dream of working here, it is crucial to prepare your Transcript of Records (TOR) and Diploma. Ensure that these documents are duly authenticated by your school Registrar and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), and subsequently apostilled at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

Be sure to organize the following:

Bank Statement
Travel Authority/Certificate of Employment
Valid IDs
Pocket money of at least P50,000 Pesos
Round-trip tickets
Hotel Bookings
Travel Insurance

Additionally, there may be other requirements to fulfill. Proper preparation and attention to detail will contribute to a smooth and successful relocation process. Read this blog and do your homework well BEFORE travelling!

- Can you explain the meaning of NES and NNES?

NES: Native English Speaker / NNES: Non Native English Speaker

- I'm not a native speaker. What are my chances of becoming a teacher in Thailand?

Your chances are quiete good provided you have a university degree. This is an excellent blog written and submitted to KruTeacher by one of our guest bloggers. Please read it.

- Can a NNES make as much as a NES?

It depends. If you have graduated from a western university based say in the UK, US, Australia and your accent is neutral or native-like and you’re truly proficient in English then you "should" be able to command similar wages as native speakers. Same goes for especially Europeans hailing from Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands with native-like fluency of the English language, possessing a BA, a TEFL cert or dip, you "should" be making about the same as native speakers.

- Will I make less as a NNES in Thailand having gotten my Bachelor’s degree in a non-English speaking country?

In most cases you will. However, if you are experienced and a licensed teacher in your home country, it is possible to make the same or in some cases even more working at an international school in Thailand. There is a shortage of experienced qualified licensed foreign high school teachers capable of teaching Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Science and Math subjects in Thailand.

- I am a Filipino with a BA. Is it alright for me to work for less than 25,000 Baht a month?

Your choice, your life! But be aware that by accepting anything under 25k you are ruining it for the rest of the hard-working Thailand-based Filipino teachers. Anything below 25,000 Baht must include free accommodation!

- Are South Africans considered Native English Teachers?

Not in Thailand. They are considered NNES. All non-NES teachers need a TOEIC of at least 600 points or more.
Bangkok test center: BB Building Room 1907 No.54 Asoke- Sukhumvit road 10110. Tel. 02-260-7061, 02-259-3990.
Chiang Mai test center: 3rd floor No.4/6 Suvarnabhumi road Soi 3 Amphoe Mueung Chiang Mai 50000 Tel. 053-241-273, 053-241-274, 053-241-275.

- Is there a shortage of NES female kindergarten teachers in Thailand?

Yes, there is.

What if I am made redundant by my school?

If you're made redundant, then depending on the situation you are potentially entitled to up to 10 months’ salary as redundancy pay (If you worked for 10+ years at the same institution). If you were on year-on-year contracts, rather than a permanent contract (As University staff with tenure are), then you may still be eligible for redundancy pay if you worked at the same school for 3+ consecutive 1-year contracts. This is something we can't say for sure, so you'd need to consult with a lawyer. Most employers won't "offer" the above, and you'll need to get legal assistance to obtain it. Remember, Thailand does have labour laws, and schools are required to follow them. The labour courts are meant to be very friendly and helpful, and they often are even towards foreign teachers!

- What recourse do I have when treated unfairly by my Thai employer?

The Thai Ministry of Labor is known to side by the foreign teacher in most cases. So, yes even in Thailand you got rights. Most foreign teachers who have taken their employers to court have won!
Some useful links:

- Are there any teacher recruitment agencies in Thailand?

Yes, there over two hundred or so teacher recruitment/placement agencies in Thailand. Some are legit, some aren’t. KruTeacher can only give its seal of approval to Teachers for Thailand at this time. We are sure there are other reputable teacher placement/recruitment agencies in Thailand, however, we do not know much about them, and therefore we cannot vouch for them. Teachers for Thailand are probably the only ones that do Skype interviews with qualified NES still overseas. They are also one of the very rare agencies offering a 12-month contract. They do airport pick up, help find accommodation, offer constant support, and pay for work permits. They will also do the paperwork for their teachers.

- Do I pay an agency to find me a job?

No, You don't. If you're asked for some kind of a deposit, or payment, run. These are scammers. Legit agencies e.g. Teachers for Thailand will never ask you for money.

- Can I travel to Thailand without a pre-arranged job?

You certainly can. In fact, most do. You can opt to book an apartment in a popular area near a subway station instead of booking a hotel room as this will work out cheaper. A decent apartment (room + wifi + attached bathroom will cost approximately 22 USD a day / 200 USD a month).

There are literally thousands of apartments for rent available in Bangkok, so this should be the least of your concerns. Witchuwan Apartel, BU Apartment and dozens of others have rooms available in the Rachada Soi 3 area of Bangkok. Check on Google or on Agoda hotel/apartment booking site for apartments on Rachada Soi 3. Rachada Soi 3 is a good location as it is close to subway station MRT Param 9 and nearby convenience stores, department stores, laundromats, supermarkets, eateries etc.

We recommend you bring between 2,500 to 3,000 USD with you to cover your expenses during your first three months in Thailand e.g. food, transportation, rent. It is extremely easy to find an apartment in the Rachada Soi 3 easy; you may want to book an apartment for your first few nights then shop around a little by simply walking around the same neighborhood for something else. You can read more on finding accommodation on the day of your arrival in Thailand on this page.

Will it be easy for me to find myself an apartment that suits my budget?

Very easy. If you're in a hotel and new to Thailand, ask the receptionist to write down in Thai that you're looking for an apartment with aircon maximum of let's say 3,500 Baht in a particular area wifi included. Next, go down to a queue of motocycle taxis in your preferred neighborhood and show them the paper. Within minutes you're on your way to an apartment costing 3.500 Baht. Don't forget to negotiate the fee in advance with the motorcycle taxi driver. Visiting 5-6 places will cost you approximately 300 Baht. Alternatively, if it's a small area, simply walk around and ask. All apartment buildings look pretty much the same and are super easy to spot.

Is there a deposit required?

Yes. Say your apartment cost 3,500 Baht. The deposit will likely be 7,000 Baht. So, rent 3,500 Baht plus the deposit 7,000 Baht is 10,500 Baht, to be paid upon moving in. Note that some landlords require a 3-month deposit. And, bear in mind that some Thai landlords are not exactly honest, and may decide to pocket your deposit when moving out.

How much do apartments cost?

The cost of an apartment ranges somewhere between 2,000 Baht and 15,000 baht per month depending on amenities and location. Apartments costing 2,000 Baht are mostly rented by low income families. There won't be internet nor will you find security, aircon or furniture.

Any apartment rental websites KruTeacher can recommend?

Yes. Follow this link.

- Any additional reading I can do on finding a cheap apartment?

Yes. Read this masterpiece on the topic by blogger Reindeer submitted to KruTeacher not long ago.

- I don’t have a Bachelor of Arts (BA). Can I still find a job in Thailand?

You certainly can. However, you will be breaking the law as you won’t be able to apply for a work permit in most cases. If caught you will be deported and blacklisted. We do not recommend teachers to work illegally in Thailand. A BA is a prerequisite to obtain a work permit in Thailand as a teacher. This is Thailand not your home country where you can get a job with just a TEFL or a TESOL. Different rules apply over here!

A must-read blog for non degree holders by guest blogger Obe - do read it! 

- I don’t have a BA. Can I work as a teacher assistant or consultant for a Thai school?

Yes, you can.

As Teacher Jason explains in a message to KruTeacher: "some formal schools will classify the teacher as a classroom assistant. In addition, agencies are often non-formal schools, so they can provide non-immigrant B visas and work permits for teachers without degrees; they then subcontract their teachers to formal schools". 
We're no experts on the subject, if you wish to find out more, visit Teaching Jobs in Thailand, KruTeacher's popular FB group and ask there. 

- I have a TEFL/TESOL. Will it help me gain legal employment as a teacher in Thailand?

No. Thai labor law stipulates that only foreigners with a BA can work as teachers in Thailand. Most (but not all) Thai school owners won’t even know or care whether a job applicant has a TEFL/TESOL. However, in neighboring Cambodia you can legally work without a degree provided that you are an English native speaker. For more go here.

- Is there such thing as social security in Thailand?

Thai schools are legally required to provide you with social security, most don't, sadly. Teachers contribute a small amount out of their salaries each month into the social security fund, and the school will match it. Note that only work permit holders qualify for Thai social security.

Thai social security is good to have if the school offers it as it will provide teachers with discounted medical care at a specific hospital in their area. A teacher who has a child, will receive 2,000 Baht a month until their second birthday. Social Security also provides teachers with a 3-month allowance if they quit; it may be just 6,000 Baht, but every bit helps.

There is also a small pension that awaits the foreign  teacher when they reach age 60 and depending on the number of years the teacher has worked in Thailand. At age 55, a foreign teacher may opt to simply withdraw their contributed funds in a single lump sum rather than taking a pension at 60. How much this is again very much depends on how long they've been contributing into the Thai social security fund. 

- Are there any popular job sites you would recommend?

Yes, our website - you can also post your self-intro or resume with us FREE of charge.

We recommend browsing jobs listed on KruTeacher even if a job posting is a month or two old it does not necessarily mean that the vacancy got filled. We'd say, apply, and see what comes out of it.

- Can you recommend a few visa agents as I need to leave the country to get a non-imm B visa?

There are so many to choose from. Google is your friend. We don't know enough about them to give them our seal of approval.

New Banner

- When is it a good time to be in Thailand and actively look for a job?

March/April for a May start, and again August/September for an October start for government and private schools.
Anywhere between end February to end September for language schools. 
Avoid coming to Thailand, especially in the months of December and January as there's almost no recruitment taking place then.

For qualified native speaking teachers who have an appropriate degree in education, or a PGCE with qualified teacher status (QTS), or equivalent possessing several years of teaching experience, a clean criminal record certificate and references from past employers, you can travel to Thailand any time. You're guaranteed work within weeks!

- I currently hate my job, can I just call it quits?

You certainly can. There is a 3-month probation period. Talk to your current colleagues on how to do this without jeopardizing your final paycheck. It is not uncommon for some schools or agencies to mess about with your final paycheck upon hearing you’re planning on leaving.

- What is the average monthly salary for experienced, qualified and licensed NES ESL/EFL teachers at international schools, and do I go about finding such a position?

If you’re an experienced licensed teacher in your home country, you can apply for work at an international school here

International schools often have fancy career pages with an HR email listed. If there are no current vacancies, they may keep your resume on file and contact you later.

Top tier international schools pay around 150,000 Baht, benefits on top, second tier international schools will pay teachers around 75,000 Baht plus benefits. Third tier international schools in Thailand are just private schools really with the word “international” embedded somewhere in the school’s logo/name; these type of international schools don’t offer that many benefits, but it’s good way to get one’s foot through the door so to speak and move on to something better after a while.

Some international schools will consider hiring non-native speakers, mainly to teach subjects. NNES can command similar wages as their NES counterparts. These NNES teachers are obviously licensed teachers, the real deal, with years of teaching experience in their home countries, with a native like command of the English language.

For a list of international schools in Thailand and their recruitment pages, click here.

- What is the average monthly salary for NES ESL/EFL BA holders at private and government schools?

Around 45,000 Baht in Bangkok, less for NNES.
Around 40,000 Baht outside of Bangkok for NES, less for NNES.
Qualified NES and NNES teachers holding a PGCE or are licensed teachers in their home countries should in our opinion not accept anything less than 75,000 Baht a month, but this remains strictly our opinion. Qualified, experienced licensed Filipino teachers for example will often accept jobs for less than the 75k we mentioned.

- Can I work on a retirement or a marriage visa?

You can work on a marriage visa but not on a retirement visa. You will still need a teacher's license from the Ministry of Education and a work permit from the Ministry of Labour, and a minimum salary of 40,000 Baht from your school. Working on a Imm Non-O visa is even better than working on a Non B visa, simply because this would mean that you don't have to leave the country if your employment ends. 

- Are schools/agencies offering me an eleven or a ten month contract good schools/agencies to work for?


- Are schools/agencies offering me a contract without health coverage good schools/agencies to work for?


- Are schools or agencies not willing to assist me even with my BA and all the required documentation ready to get a work permit and gain legal employment ok to work for?

No. Run!

New Banner

- Is it legal for a school to make me teach more than 24 periods a week?

No. Anything over 24 periods a week needs to be paid extra.

Note, language schools are exempt from this rule.

- Will a good school or agency deduct money off my salary for my visa run?

No. Good schools and good agencies will not do this.

- Any affordable primary/secondary schools for expats?

If it's a tier 2 school, they usually offer 50% off or thereabouts for tuition. The tier 1 are extremely expensive, and can cost about 750,000 to 1 million Thai Baht. The five schools that come to mind are NIST, ISB, and Shrewsbury, Bangkok Pattana, Harrow. The Tier 2 are much more affordable, offers discounts to non-Thai students, and are schools like Berkeley International School. In all cases, one should ensure the school is accredited by an outside, foreign agency (i.e WASC for American international Schools), and you get a good feeling about the school. All schools should have a website as well. We would advise to look at how much they pay their teachers too. If they pay low, the teachers would be low quality. Some private catholic, christian, bilingual schools may give you a discount on your child's tuition fees if you're working there - ask before signing on the dotted line. Again, If they pay low, the teachers would often be of low quality too, possessing a BA in an unrelated field with very little or no teaching experience. 

- Any websites for teachers of English, or maybe student they can self-access and learn?

We recommend Richard Barrow's 'The English Room. Which he created as an e-learning project for students. This website gets KruTeacher's seal of approval!

- Would it be possible for a non-degree holder with a TEFL and a year teaching experience in Thailand to get a position as a sports coach or instructor?

The law is very clear. A TEFL is not a required document in Thailand to teach. A degree is. It is needed to legally work in Thailand. However, in Cambodia you can legally teach with a TEFL and no degree. However, it is not unknown for schools to employ teachers with other types of credentials e,g, a diploma in teaching plus experience and/or an MA in linguistics without a degree, if this teacher has proven his worth at his school and this school totally wants him to stay, this teacher will then be employed as a teacher assistant or as an consultant. Many successful businessmen also have a work permit without a degree.

- Are you sure I need a work permit to teach English to kindergartners in Thailand?

Having a job here without a work permit is like living here with an expired visa. You might get away with it for a while, but eventually you'll get caught and have a large problem on your hand. 

- Does my wife need a degree to legally work as a teacher assistant in an international school part-time?

No, she does not. However, the accreditation agency (i.e. WASC) may require all teachers to have degrees. Generally, the people whom they hire are unemployed spouses of expats whose children are attending the school, to provide a discount, to perform teaching assistance jobs. These are mostly word-of-mouth jobs.

- How to become an English teacher in Thailand?

(for NES and NNES)

Subscribe to ttompatz's chanel and watch the dozens of very informative videos here.

- Do I have to leave the country after my emloyment ends?

Yes and no. If you have another school lined up, you could get them to help you with a Non-Imm B visa transfer. However, this must be done quickly since you only have a 7-day window. Unfortunately, most Thai schools are disorganised and won't help you with this. Most teachers decide to do a border run to either Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia and apply for a new tourist visa at the Thai consulate, or get a two-week or a one-month visa exemption stamp at the border, re-enter Thailand, find a new employer, start work, get the paperwork done by the school, then leave again for a Thai consulate in a neighboring country to obtain a new Non-Imm B visa. The Non-Imm B visa is needed for the school to apply for your visa extension at immigration HQ, obtain a work permit at the Ministry of Labour, and a teaching license at the Thai Ministry of Education. Teachers must leave Thailand and return the work permit to the Ministry of Labour within 7 days of termination of emplyment. Failing to so will result in a hefty fine for overstaying your visa and in worst case scenario you'll be banned from re-entering the country for several years!

- Do Africans or people of color have opportunities as well?

They certainly do. They may have to work a little harder to get their foot through the door, but it is not impossible for black Africans to find work here. Most of the jobs are on the very outskirts of Bangkok and outwards. School directors prefer white teachers, this is a sad fact. Caucasians remain the most preferred.Having said this, all is possible especially if you’re proficient in English, possess a neutral accent and can teach math, biology, chemistry, physics or science at the high school level. Get your tourist visa, your authenticated certificates, and a police check from your home country. When you get here do your TOEIC and you are good to go (book your seat many months in advance as they can get quite busy) for more.

Many black Africans have successfully landed jobs here, and so can you. Will it be difficult? Yes! Is it impossible? No! Ensure you bring US$ 3,000 preferably more in funds with you to cover your expenses for your first 3 months. Be here during recruitment season, March-April for a May start. Do not come here after recruitment season has ended. You need to have very thick skin over here in Asia. Blacks or people of color (non caucasians) with a Bachelor's of Arts in an unrelated filed will have a hard time here until they land their first teaching gig, keep this in mind. Unless as we mentioned earlier, you possess a B. Ed, a PGCE or are a licensed subject or language teacher in your home country, skin color does not matter that much since you could then apply for a post with first and second tier international schools.

- Can I find teaching jobs in other South East Asian countries?

Sure. Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia are ALSO in need of foreign teachers. For more click here

- Any additional useful websites?

Thailand Visa Options by See TEFL Thailand.

The Thai Ministry of Labour's website.

The Thai Ministry of Education's website.

The Thai Immigration Bureau's website.

- Any additional pages you recommend I read on this site to better prepare for my trip?

If you've never been to Thailand, we recommend you read the following pages:




Entry Requirements

New Banner

Getting a Job in Thailand – Tips and advice by Mr. Benjamin H

I was talking to a school director, and there is a big gap between the people who are looking for jobs as teachers and school’s expectations of teachers. To help all of you job seekers out, here’s some advice that’ll make your job search much more successful. This is general “best practices”, and may not apply in all situations.

1. Include certain information on your CV/resume. Your CV/resume must have the following: A professional headshot on a plain background, in the upper corner. It should be similar to your passport picture.

- Your nationality. Different nationalities have different requirements to get the Non-B (“Work Permit”) visa. Some people may have to return to their home country for the Non-B visa, and others can be done in Laos for example.

- Your current visa (if it applies). In certain cases, a Non-B visa is not required to legally work in Thailand. A person can also work on a Non-O marriage visa, for example.

-Your degree, your university, and when you receive the degree. I know there are exceptions, but no degree, no job.

- TOEIC score, and when you took the exam (for NNES only). A TOEIC score of 600 points or more is required, and is valid for 2 years. Without a TOEIC, a teaching license waiver cannot be issued.

-Include what subject and age range you want to teach. A teacher who’s great at teaching math to 18 year olds may be terrible teaching English to 3 year olds. Different temperament, different skillset needed.

-If you have a TEFL certificate, and from where. As of today, you DO NOT need a TEFL to get a job in Thailand, but an in-person TEFL class will give you some training on classroom management, lesson planning, and other foundations of teaching.

-Outline a list of the jobs you had prior, the companies you work for, the dates you were employed, and how it relates to teaching or education. Most schools like teachers who have some experience.

2. Do NOT include the following on your CV/ resume

-Spelling and grammar mistakes. Your CV/resume is your first impression, and any spelling mistakes will result in your CV/resume getting thrown in the trash. Read your CV/resume out loud, have your computer read it back to you, and get a friend to review it as well.

-“Infographic” CV/resumes. I don’t want to see it, schools don’t want to see it. Having a CV/resume with “five stars”, bar charts, or whatever, tells a hiring director nothing.

-Fake degrees or certifications. All University of Khoasan Road degrees are in the Thailand’s teacher license database. If you’re caught submitting one, at best, you’ll get dismissed. At worse, you’ll get arrested for submitting fake documents. Also, don’t try to skirt around the rules. If you aren’t a qualified teacher, go to another country. Also, degrees that you are currently working on doesn’t matter.

3. Professionalism on Facebook. I am stunned at how many recruiters, school directors and immigration officers are in this Facebook group. I’m also disappointed at the unprofessionalism of some people on Facebook as well. Some schools and directors look at your Facebook before they hire you. Being professional includes:

-Using proper English, and give as much information as you feel comfortable. Basically, include the same information as the CV/Resume above. This is your first impression on Facebook. If you are on your phone, wait until you have access to a computer.

- Being humble. Good teachers are lifelong learners. Nobody knows everything, and a good teacher is always learning. A good teacher either learns from their students or from other teachers.

-Being polite and modest. This includes not “trolling” KruTeacher's Facebook group posts, not criticizing other people’s grammar publicly, and comparing how Thailand does things differently than your country.

-Pictures of bikinis/ tattoos/ drugs or alcohol. Thailand is a surprisingly religious country, and a lot of school directors are older, more conservative, therefore more religious. A lot of parents expect teachers to be role models, and bikini, tattoos, drugs, and alcohol are against Thailand’s values.

-Cursing or other “unprofessional” behavior. Any actions you do in KruTeacher's Facebook group: Teaching jobs in Thailand (or related groups) should be the same actions you will do in a classroom.

-Realize that there are always exceptions, and your experience may not apply to others.

4. Real life professionalism. You either got a job interview, or you’re walking around to schools. You still have to act professional.

- Dress correctly! For men, this is closed loafers, nice ironed slacks, an ironed short sleeve button down shirt, and a professional looking tie – all clean of course. Basically, “business casual”. 

- Be clean. No sweat stains (if possible). Don’t have offensive body order (this includes body perfume). Clothes should be clean. Don’t wear black. If it’s father’s day or mother’s day, wear the appropriate colors (yellow and blue, respectfully). Don’t smell like alcohol.

- Respect the culture, and follow people’s lead. If a school director puts out his hand to shake your hand, shake it. If s/he doesn’t, wai. Take off your shoes before you go into class or office the first time, unless you’re told otherwise. Laugh and joke. I suggest reading a good book about Thailand’s culture as well, such as Culture Shock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette by Cooper (2008).

-Include two copies of your CV/resume packet to give to school directors at each school you interview. In this packet, you should have: 

a. your CV/resume
b. a copy of the front page of your passport. Redact your passport number though, especially if you’re from the UK!
c. a copy of your degree
d. a copy of your transcripts (if applicable)
e. a copy of your clean criminal record
f. a copy of your TOEIC score (if applicable)
g. a copy of your TEFL certificate (if applicable)
h. copies of other documents you think may be relevant (teaching licenses from your home country, education certificates, etc.).

- Follow the advice I listed above for Facebook, but do it in real life. This includes covering all tattoos and piercings!

If you follow this advice, you’ll have a much higher chance at getting a job as a teacher. And remember, nobody is entitled to a job in Thailand.